For developing site definitions I've found the following works.

1) Retract solution
2) IIS Reset
3) Browse to create site collection page to ensure your site definition is
no longer listed.
4) Deploy Solution
5) IIS Reset
6) Browse to create site collection page and create a new site

SharePoint likes to cache like crazy. I find completely removing a site
definition by retracting the solution and then performing and iisreset after
its removed clears it out nicely.
A bit too long winded for my liking though it slows down development
considerably :(