It is worth noting though guys that according to Microsoft you shouldn't be
using site definitions unless you fall into a couple of rather specific
examples, basically saying that if you want to ensure compatibility of
solutions going forward with future versions of the product that site templates
are the way to roll.

Now having said that, I'm still a fan of site definitions (and I'm sure we
could launch into the seemingly never ending debate of how you manage and
deploy stuff in the SharePoint world, but I'm not gonna go there).

There are some problems I have found with working with site definitions in
Visual Studio 2010 - basically I did run into a problem where when I made
changes to the onet.xml file and deploying from Visual Studio the changes
didn't stick until I restarted the box. I tried restarting services, restarting
VS, all sorts of stuff, but it just wouldn't fly. So if you do start using Site
Definitions with VS2010, be aware that there are some tricks it will play on
you.

Regards,

Brian Farnhill
Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
Microsoft Virtual Technical Solutions Professional
Blog: http://blog.brianfarnhill.com<http://blog.brianfarnhill.com/> | Twitter:
@BrianFarnhill<http://twitter.com/BrianFarnhill> | Mobile: 0408 289 303

Canberra SharePoint User Group: http://www.sharepointusers.org.au/Canberra
SharePoint Saturday Events: Sydney<http://www.sharepointsaturday.org/Sydney> |