Hi all,

I'm the lead of the Seeks project (http://www.seeks-project.info), an open
source
design and software for enabling social websearch. The core idea is to work on
top
of existing search engines and to regroup users whose queries are similar so
they can
share both the query results and their experience on these results.
The system does more than this, but this is not the point here.

The regrouping of users on the basis of their queries uses a DHT and a custom
LSH (locality sensitive hashing) scheme. I am in the final stages of
implementing the
routing layer of the DHT. It is based on the Chord protocol, protobuffers, and
UDP packets.

Seeks development requires advanced skills in many areas of computer science.
Being mostly
an AI guy, at this point I'm seeking advice from p2p experts and practitioners,
and more
precisely on the following two points:

- Every of the DHT machines supports a variable number of virtual nodes.
Therefore our
DHT key generation scheme uses: 48bit of the MAC address and 112 random bits
(not from
a 'strong' generator), that are then hashed with RIPEMD-160 to get the 160bit
key.
With no huge expectations on the number of nodes in the near future, does this
seem a robust
scheme to you ? My understanding is that uniformity should be around that of
the RIPEMD-160
itself.

- Given the objectives of the project, are there some problems and not so
well-known
caveats I should be aware of when using a Chord-like protocol ? I'm aware of the
general litterature on Chord (optimal routing, rotating virtual nodes, deBruijn
graphs,
...). Should I look into something in particular ?

Any other comment, criticism and other advices or speculations are welcome, as
we
expect the DHT to reach the main trunk in a (finite) number of weeks now :)

For those interested in the project at large, here is more information:
- technical overview: http://seeks-project.info/wiki/index.php/Technical
- a manifesto: http://www.seeks-project.info/manifesto.html
- a list of public (standalone, metasearch) nodes you can use already:
  http://seeks-project.info/wiki/index.php/List_of_Web_Seeks_nodes
- documents: http://seeks-project.info/wiki/index.php/Documents

Source code is available from our git repository on Sourceforge, the DHT remains
under heavy development with several daily commits, but is nevertheless
accessible
from the 'dht' branch.

Thanks,

Emmanuel Benazera