On 02/04/2011 08:58 AM, Julian Cain wrote:

> This is false. Egypt cut ALL Internet traffic including mobile. Having said
> this the only solution is an AD-HOC network built with existing hardware w/
> internet gateways somewhere along the path. This technology has been around
> for quite some time. The downside is that it takes an incredible amount of
> effort to daisy chain home and office routers in a manner that will "act"
> like the Internet. This is the only solution to a complete
> government/corporate takeover. Build a new Internet with existing hardware
> that gateways users into the public Internet.

Just to clarify, did Egypt cut *domestic* phone and internet, or just
*international*?  For example, if I had a server inside Egypt, using an
Egyptian domain, could users inside Egypt generally access it?

> Most home routers can perform this either by extending the network or
> bridging networks.

The only way something like this will take off is if it provides some
*very* compelling value even when the internet is functioning normally.
  Otherwise it'll always be relegated to being a tiny fringe project.

I think a better approach is to prepare a system that uses the internet
when it's available (as it almost always is), but then offers to set up
a DHT or even, ad hoc mesh network -- or even a "sneakernet" -- if it
detects the internet has stopped functioning.

For example, imagine that everybody's mobile Twitter device, upon
discovering a loss of connection to twitter.com, offered to connect to
the "BlueTooth mesh".  In high-density environments like a protest, I
imagine it could actually work.  Then all the laptops that had domestic
internet access establish a DHT (perhaps they quietly had it established
all along) and bridge the various bluetooth meshes that have sprung up
around the nation.  And at that time also mention that it can just
"manually synchronize" using a USB keydrive or MP3 player.

But all this needs to be kept quiet, totally automated, and entirely
unobtrusive in normal operation; it can't bother people to even consider
these options when the internet is available, because the internet is so
much more convenient to use.  Nobody will care about any of these
features, and they'll be an active *demerit* to the application that
*reduces* its adoption -- up until everybody absolutely depends on them.

-david