Oskar, thank you for a quick and thorough reply!

> In fact, I haven't even managed to show that the class of
> distributions for which I have a bound - those which are solutions
> to the system implied by equations (2.3) and (2.4) in the text - is
> nonempty. Until this is done the theorem as it stands is interesting,
> but from a strict mathematical viewpoint quite meaningless. (Which is
> why I have held off on publication).

        Damn... I knew that I should've spent more time following the
chain of proofs... I thought that you did prove your rewiring method
to converge to the balanced distribution in terms of Theorem 2.2 with
some margin of error due to the dynamic nature of the rewiring, and
that the differences between solid and dotted lines in Figs. 2.4-2.6
were basically the result of this dynamic error, especially since the
solid line on Fig. 2.6 seemed to have the clearly visible simulation
artifacts... :-)

> Also, the log^2 is with constant routing table size, if you scale up
> the routing table with the size of the network, you can roughly divide
> the order by the routing table size (most log n DHTs scale the routing
> table with log n as well).
> Again, the routing tables grow in Chord. If each node had one "chord"
> link (every log n th node having a chord of the same length), then
> Chord would be roughly log^2 as well.

        Ah, great points. So let me get this straight - what you're
saying is that Chord and other similar DHTs (Kademlia, etc) all have
basically the Kleinberg distribution, correct? They have same average
number of shortcuts covering every shortcut length interval with ~2^k
order of magnitude size and ~2^k order of magnitude average shortcut
length, so the probability of having the shortcut with length 2^k -
P(2^k) is inversely proportional to the interval size 2^k, so what we
have is P[2^k] ~ 1/(2^k), or P[x] ~ 1/x.

        So the apparent log(N) Chord path length is due only to log(N)
links from every node, and if say, Dijjer would have log(N) links per
node, its path length would also scale as long(N).

        Very interesting - if I really got all this correctly. It seems
obvious in retrospect, but I, for one, never thought about it this way.
In fact, I could not fully understand your point before doing some back
of the envelope (well, back of your thesis, actually :-) calculations
while writing this mail. Judging from the previous discussion, I won't
be the only one for whom this chain of reasoning will be a surprise -
thank you for taking time to lay it out in the open!

        By the way, as a practical matter, does Dijjer grow its routing
tables with network size? Shouldn't be a problem to scale these tables
as log(N) and have the scalability similar to Chord and other DHTs. If
you do, you might want to mention it somewhere - I'm fairly sure that
I'm not the single person dense enough to miss the link between log(N)
path length and log(N) links per node and to be left with an impression
that Chord scales better than Dijjer as a result.

> It won't matter so much if the routing table is large (remember the
> mathematical model has one long link) though I would recommend that
> Dijjer updated less often.

        If the Dijjer routing table indeed has log(N) size and you replace
only one entry in it, doesn't it already mean that you are updating with
the probability of "...order of one over the expected length of the
greedy walks", which length also becomes log(N) in this case? Or your
recommendation is based on some other considerations?

        Best wishes -
        S.Osokine.
        12 Mar 2006.