On 3/12/06, Serguei Osokine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         By the way, as a practical matter, does Dijjer grow its routing
> tables with network size?

I will take this as Oskar isn't really familiar with the details of
Dijjer (I think he is much more interested in the mathematics rather
than the practicalities of implementation).  Dijjer does not scale its
routing tables with the log of the network size, basically it tries to
make the routing tables as big as possible within a given constraint
(I think the default is 20 connections).  While this means that it
doesn't have log(N) scalability, in practice it doesn't really make
much difference and it means that we don't need to try to calculate
the total network size.

>  Shouldn't be a problem to scale these tables
> as log(N) and have the scalability similar to Chord and other DHTs. If
> you do, you might want to mention it somewhere - I'm fairly sure that
> I'm not the single person dense enough to miss the link between log(N)
> path length and log(N) links per node and to be left with an impression
> that Chord scales better than Dijjer as a result.

That is a good point.  If you would like to add something to Dijjer's
FAQ about it, please feel free (its a wiki, I would do it myself but
i'm on the road).

Ian.