I entirely agree with Daniel and Matthew here.  TCP does an amazingly good
job on this.  I've abstracted the TCP algorithm into a simple class here:

        http://svn.iglance.com/svn/trunk/iglance/client/GTCP.h
        http://svn.iglance.com/svn/trunk/iglance/client/GTCP.cpp

Basically, use GTCPServer to regulate the send speed and process
acknowledgements, and GTCPClient to construct and maintain the bit-vector
sent back with acknowledgements.  It's not "real" TCP for a wide range of
reasons, but it might give you a start on constructing your own UDP
congestion-control mechanism.

-david