Richard Dice wrote:
> What kind of features are you looking for in such a framework?

Tough question.  I guess it really depends upon my perspective (coder)
and what I'm trying to build (ideally, anything that can be seen on the
web now or in the future).

I'll start by throwing out a rough wish-list that we can all critique
and modify:

1.  On-line user/support community.

2.  Separation of function (code), presentation (templates), and content
(database).

3.  Genuine Perl; preferably 5.8.

4.  Open-source de-facto standard language(s) and tools for the
framework itself and all associated infrastructure used to work on it
and the products built with it.

5.  Perl Artistic License.

6.  Strong security.

7.  Documentation -- architecture, design, implementation, test,
programmer's guide, designer's guide, author/editor's guide,
administrator's manual, etc..

8.  OO design and implementation.

9.  Ability to sub-class to modify functionality.

10. Ability to create and easily add/ remove/ manage/ monitor plug-ins
to add functionality.

11. Built-in functionality:  user accounts, groups, privilege levels,
home pages/ sub-sites, storage management (quotas), search,
friendly/short URL's, search engine friendly/compatible.

12. Plug-in functionality: threaded forums, issue tracking/ticketing
system, CVS client, photo gallery.

13. Version control and content management system capabilities.

14. Information architecture hooks.

15. Off-line and on-line development/debugging/test environments for
coders and designers.

16. On-line WSIWYG development environment and workflow for
authors/editors.

17. On-line WSIWYG development/debugging environment for novice users to
create simplified/restricted code, presentation, and/or content.

18. Comprehensive regression test suite for framework and anything
distributed/supported with it.

19. Ability to run on well-featured shared Linux web hosting accounts.

20. Ability to backup and restore while operational.

David