Perrin said:

When we discussed this at The Perl Conference a few years back, it was determined that the only thing everyone there really wanted out of it was marketing, i.e. they want people to think of Perl as a valid option for enterprise work. You are welcome to propose another goal though.

This is my recollection from that discussion as well.

I think where it went next was a discussion of what it would take to make a marketing case for Perl as being appropriate for enterprise work. My recollection of this is a bit more vague, but to reconstruct this as a composite of what was probably said plus my own opinions on the matter, it came down to two pieces:

 1. Marketing qua marketing -- i.e. getting a bazillion dollar budget to
    take out glossy ads in CIO Magazine and related.  Let me know when
    this happens. :-)

 2. Building a "P5EE Product" that can be marketed

As for (2.), I my 0-th order approximation of what is needed along these lines is

   * choose a set of CPAN modules that does what is needed (PNATTMBTC)
   * fill in the gaps as needed
   * subclass to a P5EE namespace
   * unify quirks in the calling API (i.e. the P5EE namespace has a
     bit of a translation layer to each individual module from a
     common-ish API, a la OpenPlugin)
   * make sure that the test suite for all the above is complete
   * do a license audit of everything here (i.e. probably make sure
     that everything is Perl Artistic)
   * having an easily-installable bundle, like a PAR
   * get a good set of docs both included and online for all this

Cheers,
Richard