you could create two authentication sources (both pointing to the same
LDAP), one which filters faculty and another students.(you would have to
play with the LDAP filters so that the user is not even found if it you
search for faculty using the student's authentication source)
and then you could present two different "login options" -> faculty login
(which only uses the faculty LDAP as authentication source) and student
login(which only uses the student LDAP as auth source), each which leads to
the the two different "select-role" portal modules, one tuned for faculty
and the other for staff

it its only 2 "paths" then its probably ok... otherwise, it could become a
bit un-manageable