I wanted to add my 2¢ to this discussion.

IMHO, MW released CW R6 for no other reason than to fulfill their obligation
to provide a free upgrade from R5.  As a software product, R6 should not
have been a release, it was too buggy.  But, because MW is a large software
company, they are allowed to release buggy software, as suggested by the
Salon article that Tom Zerucha referenced in this forum.

According to what you're saying, Ben, just because I've worked hard on
software to fix bugs and add features, I can go ahead and release it and
charge money.  I don't even have to use POSE to make sure my programs run,
just work hard for a long time!  However, if this is not okay for me, why is
it okay for MW to do it?  Because they're a big software company who has to
pay lots of engineers?  Surely an endorsement for the "don't worry, be
crappy" software development credo.

Before ruffling too many feathers, I want to add that the MW support people
who help us on this forum are great!  They do a great job, in spite of the
software they have to support (sorry, couldn't resist)!

The bottom line is, I get annoyed with CW nearly every time I use it, mostly
due to bugs in the CW IDE.  I sometimes get annoyed using Visual Studio,
also, but it usually ends up being a setting, or my software.

There's a double-standard in software development here.  Developing for
Palm, we have to meet all sorts of requirements in order to obtain Platinum
certification.  I think this is as it should be.  However, I wonder if the
Palm OS could meet the equivalent of their Platinum certification.  I'm sure
that MW CW for Palm could not.

One other point, CW is a software product, not a process.  I pay for the
software product to work, MW pays for the process.  If their process cannot
produce an acceptable product, tough for them, I shouldn't have to pay for
their faulty process!

Regards,
Steve