>   First thing is a question about databases.

This is several questions about databases. :-)

>Let's say that I have a program that, when activated, would choose one
>record(a string, for instance), at random, to display on a form.
>Assuming that the database starts with a given number of strings and
>that it might eventually be an option for the user to add more later,
>how do I create the database?

There are several ways. There are tools that let you create databases
from ASCII data. Check PalmGear. You could also write a Palm program
that runs under POSE, reads a desktop file and writes to a database,
and then export that database from POSE so that you can put it on a
device. If the # of strings is not too large, you could use
Constructor to put them in a String List resource and access them
from there using the database resource APIs.

>Do I need a seperate pdb file?

PDB files are whatever you want them to be. Separate from what? Your
other data? Depends on your application. From my perspective, that
would probably make sense.

>  is it  information that I can store in the code or what?

You could, but it's generally considered bad programming practice to
hard code strings in an application, especially if you may need to
localize it later on, or if you plan on letting the user add strings.

>  If I have a  seperate pdb file, do I need to write a conduit for it?

No. You only need a conduit if you want to synchronize with the desktop.

Regards,
Steve Mann