On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:24:12 -0500, Stringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>Subject: Re: Reducing update flicker?
>>From: "Mark Wilden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>From: "Michael Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> I'd like to make it so my program will make it through a
>>> gremlins run completely clean.  Is that an unreasonable goal?
>>
>>In and of itself, I'd say that was a terrible goal. No customer has ever
>>paid money for a clean Gremlins run. :)
>>
>>I've got a lurking "invalid insertion point" myself in one of my apps.
>> It's not real high on my list of priorities to fix.
>>
>>I would be interested in what others think is the cause and severity
>>of this Gremlins report.
>
>1) Really bad advice!
>        A clean Gremlin's run is essential to having quality
>        software, and customers do pay for quality software!
>
>        If Gremlins hiccups, you HAVE BUGS !
>
>2) If you'd have checked the archives you'd have seen the
>        "invalid insertion point" discussed.
>
>        The most likely cause is a field that doesn't have enough
>        height for the font used.  The message is very misleading!
>
>        I was caught by it for some fields where I changed the font
>        from largeFont to largeBoldFont.  The problem is that
>        largeBoldFont needs an extra pixel in height.

As I wrote previously, the cause of the error was that I was resizing
the field, not changing the font.  I knew the cause of the error, I
needed a way to do a flicker-less update.

>Roger Stringer
>Marietta Systems, Inc.

  Michael S. Harrison
  michaelh.dragonseye@com
  (reverse the dot and at to send email)

* The opinions expressed here are those of my iguana
* and I never know what he's going to say next.