> > 1) Really bad advice!
> >         A clean Gremlin's run is essential to having quality
> >         software, and customers do pay for quality software!
>
> This is just an assertion. There are lots of things customers want. If you
> were to ask one "Do you want me to spend this time fixing a bug that
you'll
> never see, or do you want me to add that feature you requested?" you might
> be surprised at the answer.

i inform all my clients that i will make sure the applications i write
for them can qualify for palm platnium certification. this means, i do
demonstrate the application running on a debug rom and run it through a
series of gremlin tests.

this works for me in two ways:

- they trust i am a *serious* palm developer
- proves i know what i am talking about when it comes to development

now, if a client comes to me and i am too busy, i set the ground rules for
any developer they will contact in the future. in ost cases, they end up
waiting for me to get some free time.

> Gremlins (and the asserts they trigger) are just a tool. I don't worship
at
> their altar. I prioritize my work. Stuff that the customer sees has
priority
> over stuff that only Poser sees. In the perfect world, all bugs would be
> fixed. However, in that world, no software would ever be released.

codewarrior, pilrc, prc-tools they are tools too *g*.

put yourself in the clients position. they spend $XXXX on developing an
application that you squeezed the perfect amount of time to get finished,
but, heck.. gremlins barfs. but, it doesn't matter - when you delivered,
it worked, right?

six months later, a new device comes out - and, woah.. the application
they paid good money for no longer works? should the re-contact you to
fix these problems? surely, thats a good business model for you isn't it?

> Have you ever heard of a guy spending a week fixing an obscure bug?
> Has that guy ever been you? :)

yes. and, yes. :)

a *good* programmer, knows where to look for bugs. it helps having
access to the os source code (yes, sign up for it). it doesn't take
long for you to fix such a small obscure bug. i do it daily for all
my other developers (yes, i am mr. bug fixer in my full time work) :P

> > The most likely cause is a field that doesn't have enough
> > height for the font used.  The message is very misleading!
>
> Right--normally that's the case, and it's easy to fix, so I fix it.
> In the on "lurker" I've got, that's not the case, however.
>
> In any case, I'm still looking for answer to my question about the
> severity of the report. Is "Invalid insertion point" a real bug that
> would affect my app's performance in the real world?

well, it probably isn't *that* severe.

how about making the height of the field a bit larger and see if the
message goes away? :) but, take this as a lesson, you really shouldn't
ignore gremlin messages. i know of a few which, if you do ignore,
will screw up everything.

moving from OS 4 -> OS 5 will be a big thing when it comes to ignoring
gremlins. heck, i have found that code that works perfectly, and, passes
all gremlins checks on OS4 fails on OS5. but, heck, they can't catch
them all can they? :)

---
Aaron Ardiri                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CEO - CTO                                                  +46 70 656 1143
Mobile Wizardry                             http://www.mobilewizardry.com/