> you *could* avoid the DmWrite procedure using MemSemaphoreReserve
> and MemSemaphoreRelease API's - but, they stop working on OS5+
> however, on these devices, there are more memory.
>
> be very careful using these API's i am sure someone at palm is
> cringing in their seats for me even mentioning them here :) mis-use
> of these API's (ie: wild pointers) can render a device useless.

Yes :) here what say palm on
http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/emulator/Emulator_Testing.html

MemMgr semaphore : Monitors how long the Memory Manager semaphore
has been acquired for write access using the MemSemaphoreReserve
and MemSemaphoreRelease functions.

Your applications should not be calling these functions; however,
if you must call them, you should not hold the semaphore for longer than 10
milliseconds.