A reason why Palm OS MIGHT NOT die?  There may be more than one.

1.  Palm OS has, in the past, been dominant in mobile devices that are not
necessarily classified or perceived as handheld computers and that are not
as powerful as the quite powerful handheld computer designated devices of
today.
2.  Palm developed a large following of avid users during its hay day among
PDA fans.
3.  By introducing Linux and development for Linus, the appeal to developers
relative to their "comfort zone" can only increase, particularly if the new
OS will still run Garnet apps.

The great weak spot:

Palm OS may have increasing difficulty with Windows competition on more
powerful devices in terms of persuading people that Palm OS is a good thing.
(This may not affect the pda-enabled world of cell phones as quickly, which
may be why Palm OS was purchased by its present owners, associated with a
country that is a major cell phone manufacturer.)  Windows has the hearts
and minds of the average business computer user and most home users.
Handheld device users associate the Palm name with a device from the past
that won a lot of market share.  This Palm OS capable label may be seen
today as a good thing only in light of it serving as an indicator that a
device is PDA enabled.  (Would "Palm OS (device)!" mean the same as "Windows
CE (device)!" if put on a sticker on cellular telephone packaging to a
prospective buyer today?  Will it have the same cache' tomorrow if
associated with a powerful handheld device?)

Getting users to recognize that Palm OS is also a graphically based OS with
point and click functionality may be a significant problem in terms of user
appeal for new buyers aware of a handheld version of Windows as the major
competition.  Making them recognize that Palm OS doesn't mean that their
handheld computer will never be anything more than another PDA is another
area where Palm OS seems to be fighting an uphill battle for new, business
users, given Palm OS' strong association with the Palm handheld, and its
name based perception among many as an OS that is used by PDAs.

It seems to me that Palm OS could use some programmers capable of producing
some knockout software that would (or could) be loaded with its operating
system that is both patentable (like the blackberry's e-mail download
capability) and likely to catch consumers' eyes by filling a real need.
(Lots of games written in an OS are nice for some, but no "business" user is
going to tell the boss that they need a new Palm OS capable phone to get the
latest version of their favorite game.  In fact, many business user's won't
even tell their spouse that on a weekend shopping trip!)  Business people
began using Windows because it let them do things in a manner that they
perceived as "easier" and with less training per new software program given
the common, graphical, icon based interface.

If users are not limited by the cost of the more powerful handheld devices,
there is no reason to prefer an operating system that is better suited to
slow CPUs (among the group that purchases more expensive devices targeted to
function as handheld computers, rather than merely PDA capable devices).
Competing with Windows in the past was a matter of being more successful
with devices with slower CPUs and limited capabilities that were easily
classified merely as "PDAs", and not handheld computers.  The advent of
wireless communications created the need for more powerful handhelds to
function not merely as a "tentacle" connected to one person's desktop, but
as a conduit for files to many desktops.  That is enough in itself to kill
Palm OS in the world of handheld PCs.

If switching to Linux gives Palm access to the "open source" world in a true
sense, then it may find itself preferred by those not willing to make a big
switch to Windows on their office desktop, in a networked, Windows business
world, or on their home PCs, where being able to permit a family member to
play a favorite computer game is an issue, but who are willing to consider
Linux as a reasonable alternative in the world of powerful handhelds,
particularly if they are normally expected to pay for their own PDA, and are
looking for value in terms of the software that is available and fully
compatible with their Windows desktop, in terms of transferring data.

It would seem that persuading Linux open source developers to target the
Palm OS and create some knock-out applications is the real key to Palm OS'
future.  It's the applications, and not another Windows-like OS, that can
win the day for Palm OS.  (Windows isn't merely Windows-like, and it has
more name appeal to new users.)  Major bugs in new, handheld applications
that make the files they produce incompatible with Windows Office software
on a desktop could be a killer in such a world.  Bug free apps. capable of
the biggest issue may still be whether a user can seamlessly use a Microsoft
Office spreadsheet, document, or database on their new handheld.

Having to repeatedly "export" to a non-native file format to save Office
documents might be just enough to kill a Linux based OS for most business
people, however impractical use of Office software on a handheld may be
perceived by some.  A little, easily found option to save and load files
from Linux based Office-like software in Windows format on a permanent basis
on a handheld, and no warnings that this non-native file type may cause loss
of fomatting, might get beyond this for users in the world of powerful
handhelds who want to send files wirelessly as e-mail attachments in Office
format without getting responses that the recipient can not open the
attachment and chose to use another vendor's product because they couldn't
access the quotation.  Palm OS became successful driving a "data tentacle"
to one PC.  In the future, it has to be able to drive a data conduit to
anyone's PC anywhere via the internet or wireless network, and those PCs
will be running Windows and using Windows applications.  In the real world,
it is probably just that simple.