Part of the problem is that you will need to use correct terminology
when trying to research features. The example you gave won't be listed
under "making a microphone sound like a telephone", it will be listed as
a high-pass filter. I'm not saying this to be picky, but if you learn
the terminology for the effects you want, you're more likely to be able
to research which program will best provide you with that effect.

Bruce