I guess we can be thankful for the amount of choice out there.

I've had quite a bit of success with the Noise Reduction of Goldwave and I've
not needed to do much to get the results I've been after, if I remember
correctly I think I wrote an article on this some time ago to the list so it
will be in the list archives somewhere I'm sure <smile>, the best way to handle
the Goldwave Noise Reduction - as with most other noise reduction software and
plugins - was to reduce noise in a "Step-by-step" and "Gradual" process rather
than trying to reduce all the noise at once.

The next step was to ensure you got a good "Capture" of the noise to use in the
reduction process.

No, the noise reduction facilities of Goldwave, Total Recorder and even Sound
Forge aren't professional grade however they all do a pretty good job given
what they are and I'd go so far as to say that the noise reduction facilities
of Goldwave and Total Recorder probably surpass that of Sound Forge given that
no development of the Sound Forge Noise Reduction software has taken place to
my knowledge since the old Sonic Foundry days.

The best ever noise reduction system I've used is with Amadeus Pro for the Mac,
leaves everything I'e used on a Windows machine behind but not everyone has a
Mac unfortunately so you'll all have to do the best you can <smile>.