I finally got my ls14. Its very intresting how olympus make changes
compared to the older models. I found now some good knews. The voice
files wich make the recorder talk is no longer in the build in memory.
In older models you had to backup the voice guidance folder and
restore it after a format, or you needed to use the pc software to
upload the speech files back to the recorder. But now its no longer
the case. You can format without worries. All the other system files
will be gone, but not the speech files. So after restarting the
recorder or connecting and disconnecting again from pc, it should now
recreate the system read-only files again and you good to go. Another
thing wich I am very excited about is that the newer models including
the ls100 and ls14 now really contain the driver needed to be seen by
windows to enable it to be use the microphones of the recorder on the
pc. With older models you also had the ability to record on the pc
using the mics, but the problem was that you could only use that
feature from within the provided pc software. And if you look under
control panel you won't see it listed under your input and output
devices. Now, the software is no longer used it seems, and you can now
select the mic in windows and wich ever software you use to record.
And it work very wel. The ls14 also has a metronoom. Unfortunetly the
settings for the metronoom don't speak. But I found an easy way to
deal with this. I hope to do a podcast soon about that. I stil want to
test line in as I really like the fact that it have a deticated line
in jack. I like it that now this recorder have a moad dile wich you
can turn to switch to different recording moads. So the option to
switch from manual to auto gain is no longer in the menus, as you use
the wheel to move among them. The tuner don't seem accessible. But I
don't care about that anyway. It uses dubble A batteries this time,
wich is a first for olympus. It doesn't seem that they provided
recharchible batteries with this model, but the manual also don't
state if it can charch batteries either, but you can use it on power
if you own the optional USB adapter or plug into the pc. The maximum
recording wav quality is 24bit/96khz.