From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Aidan
Maher
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:53 AM
To: pc-audio@pc-audio.org
Subject: my findings about the ls14

I finally got my ls14. Its very intresting how olympus make changes compared
to the older models. I found now some good knews. The voice files wich make
the recorder talk is no longer in the build in memory.
In older models you had to backup the voice guidance folder and restore it
after a format, or you needed to use the pc software to upload the speech
files back to the recorder. But now its no longer the case. You can format
without worries. All the other system files will be gone, but not the speech
files. So after restarting the recorder or connecting and disconnecting
again from pc, it should now recreate the system read-only files again and
you good to go. Another thing wich I am very excited about is that the newer
models including the ls100 and ls14 now really contain the driver needed to
be seen by windows to enable it to be use the microphones of the recorder on
the pc. With older models you also had the ability to record on the pc using
the mics, but the problem was that you could only use that feature from
within the provided pc software. And if you look under control panel you
won't see it listed under your input and output devices. Now, the software
is no longer used it seems, and you can now select the mic in windows and
wich ever software you use to record.
And it work very wel. The ls14 also has a metronoom. Unfortunetly the
settings for the metronoom don't speak. But I found an easy way to deal with
this. I hope to do a podcast soon about that. I stil want to test line in as
I really like the fact that it have a deticated line in jack. I like it that
now this recorder have a moad dile wich you can turn to switch to different
recording moads. So the option to switch from manual to auto gain is no
longer in the menus, as you use the wheel to move among them. The tuner
don't seem accessible. But I don't care about that anyway. It uses dubble A
batteries this time, wich is a first for olympus. It doesn't seem that they
provided recharchible batteries with this model, but the manual also don't
state if it can charch batteries either, but you can use it on power if you
own the optional USB adapter or plug into the pc. The maximum recording wav
quality is 24bit/96khz.