To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: My Computer Speakers Died

Why do they call them sound sticks?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 12:57 AM
Subject: My Computer Speakers Died

Hi!

Subject line displays the grim reality, was working away here when there was a crackle and the smell of smoke rising from the sub-woofer of my Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra speaker system so that looks to be the end of those.

I looked around for another pair but can't find them anywhere which is a shame as this system has been the best Computer speaker system I've owned.

I then decided to do a little research, "Google Is My Friend" so I typed "Best Computer Speakers" in and found to my amazement a web page that lets you compare all sorts of atributes for computer speakers, size, wattage, controls, features and so on.

From the little time I had to look at this page I found that the nearest competitor to the Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra speaker system seemed to be the Harman Kardon Sound Sticks, audio specs seem the same except that the Sound Sticks only have a low end of 44HZ instead of 40HZ for the Expressionist Ultra speaker system, nothing to worry about then in that area, both speakers have a top frequency of 20KHZ.

The only other annoyance about the Sound sticks was that the controls were on the speakers themselves - volume was on 1 speaker and volume for the sub-woofer was on the woofer -, yes an annoyance but not a critical point, something that wouldn't turn me off buy this speaker setup.

So has anyone had any experience with the Harman Kardon Sound Sticks and what do you think or perhaps you have another recommendation or - even better - perhaps you know of where I can get another Altec Lansing Expressionist Plus speaker system <smile>.

Dane Trethowan
Skype: grtdane12
Phone US (213) 438-9741
Phone U.K. 01245 79 0598