Actually, none of these are dictation recorders. Dictation recorders allow punching in etc. They also use small files for easy emailing. And provide encryption for security. As to which one to buy, it depends on what you need. If you don't require truly professional sound, the LS-7 is inexpensive and sounds quite good. The LS-100 is better, but you'll pay for it, and I don't know if the multitrack function is accessible. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Giannak" <n...@hkcradio.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2013 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: LS7 OR LS100?

How about neither?
The LS7 was nothing more than a glorified dictation recorder. I should know, I've seen them, and they were not all that dissimilar to my DM520, which was a dictation recorder. the LS100 is good for musicians, and was a trendsetter for Olympus recorders. It is very good...and expensive, of course. If we could all afford them, we'd all own them, because they are very, very flexable. How about the LS14? The LS14 is exactly what would happen if the Olympus LS7 and LS100 had a kid. In general, it's the LS100 in miniature, but it has the tresmic system from the LS7, but most importantly, the LS100's microphone preamps, or very similar thereof. It handles high output microphones very well, it's got smart mode which is really awesome (check the website), and it does it at a $199 that won't break the bank too hard.
Thanks,
nick