I haven't had the ability to listen in surround sound for a long time.
Indeed, most of my experience was with an analog system years ago, made
by ADS. And it was awesome. I also had the Carver sonic holography
unit, which was good, but not as good as the ads, which actually
required two speakers in the rear. The thing is, if you like classical
music, full orchestra etc, there is no way you get anything approaching
a concert hall experience with two stereo speakers, unless there is
some magic happening in the background, ala the Carver holography. I
have been impressed with Polk Audio in the past and also with the Magna
planar speakers, which I really wanted in the worst way. Talk about
3-dimensional sound! But the listening environment demanded by that set
up is not one that your average guy or gal can manage. That's why I'
m intrigued by sound bars and various digital signal processing
techniques. I want to simulate the concert hall experience in my
living-room. And 2 speakers will never do that.

Mary