Thomas Gouverneur wrote:
   125369|05|Jan/01/70| | | |  ||||
   125547|01|Jan/01/70| | | |  ||||

For theses one I don't know again how to threat them... They are
referenced as dependencies over some other patch but looks unresolvable
(maybe they are internal release of theses patches....). The first
release that I can see downloaded for 125369 is the -10.. How to handle
that while generating the patchdiag.xref ?

I think that if a certain revision of patch is referenced in the official xref file, this very revision has existed at some time. If you don't have information about such a revision, I guess you can only use the next more recent one that does exist.

Looking at PCA's debug output with the sample patchdiag.xref, I see two more problems:

119574|02|Jun/15/05| | |O| |10|sparc;|SUNWcsu:11.10.0,REV=2005.01.21.15.53;|Obsoleted by: 140860-01 SunOS 5.10: su patch

The patch is obsoleted by 140860-01, which is not included in the xref. Basically, it would be enough to have 119574-02 to fulfill the dependency, but PCA won't use obsoleted patches, but follow the obsoletion chain until it finds a non-obsolete patch. So you could include 140860-01 in the xref file, but a better solution might be to include the information about 119574-02 from the time when it was not obsoleted yet. The more obsoletions one follows, the more dependencies will be pulled in. That's a rather basic question: Is it better to install only the minimum required revisions or should one try to get the most recent patches to fulfill dependencies?

Then there's a problem with 123839-01. It's required by 125503, but it's not included. Now when looking at the official xref file, one can see that it has been obsoleted by 126897-02, which *is* included in your xref. So actually the dependencies are fulfilled, but PCA can't know about that, because it only sees what's included in the short xref. I guess one will have to include that information in the generated xref as well.

I appreciate your work, but I'm somehow starting to doubt that this is really possible to generate a consistent xref file for any given set of patches (in a reasonable amount of time) ..

Martin.