- populating the xref
 - Assume only one rev (the last used in dependencies) is present per
   patch
 - Removing any obsolete flag and "Obsoleted by:" text inside the
   synopsis.

Correct?

Yup, think so.

I can also do it this way... I got all the info I need, I can even
imagine to allow the user to choose which method is the best for him

Yes, at the end having an option would probably be best.

Like if you would apply the 10 Recommended patch cluster without
downloading every single patch which is in it. You simply could
generate xref from the list of patches it contains and then run pca
against this xref... wouldn't that be a wonderful world ?

The basic design of Sun's patching design using patchdiag.xref really isn't (or wasn't) all that bad. Besides just having one current master xref file, one can put it to good use which such custom xref files; Sun, with the access to all the patch metadata could've done wonderful things. Alone the fact that one can use a "frozen" copy of an xref file to put a certain patching milestone on any given machine even months later is a great thing, used by many. It's just sad that all this has an expiration date on it since Solaris 11 and IPS appeared.

Martin.