On Monday, February 20, 2006, at 04:00  PM, de Runtz, Lars wrote:

You want the drive to spin up immediately after POR (powering the
system up)

I agree. I have never used the delay start DS or remote start RS, and never had a problem. I think those settings are for if you have a very specific reason to do so.

These settings are mostly used in servers that can have multiple (8 is not uncommon) HDs in them. Since HDs draw the highest amount of current upon spin/start up, most servers' power supplies last longer when the hard disks are spun up sequentially and get up to cruising speed before the next one starts up.

The start up delay is in the drives themselves, I have a compaq proliant 1600 with 4 sca scsi HDs and the server waits for all of them to spin up before it even starts looking for an operating system to boot from. Each drive waits 10 seconds times it's scsi ID before it starts to spin up.

Len

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:pci-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Archive:<http://www.mail-archive.com/pci-powermacs%40mail.maclaunch.com/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal