I've used AVG, Avast!, and now NOD32 mainly for it's speed in updating and scanning with the highest success rate around.

For the firewall I use Zonealarm which replaced Sygate which got bought up by Symantec and I will not use any bloated software from Symantec.

I use Ad-aware monthly, though the only things I have is malicious cookies.

I use a giant HOSTS file to block many malicious sites, ad-ware sites, etc.

I'm switching to Ubuntu this weekend so I won't need AVG, Avast!, NOD32, or any ad-ware scanners.

Also I never use IE, OE, MSN, Yahoo, MS office, or WMP. I leave those to my clients.

I'm on the web a lot, not as much as 5 years ago but it still takes up a lot of time.

Peter Kaulback

Harold B. wrote:
Hello again (using Win XP),

Following your discussion, now is the moment of decision and I'm faced with
Avg Free and Avast Free. I've been using Avg with no apparent harm to the
computer nor am I sure it does any good. It's just there in my sys tray
upgrading every once in a while and that's it. What's the consensus in the
group? Is it Avg or Avast? Or should I do neither and remove ZoneAlarm and as
Hugh once suggested, use Windows Defender to do the job of both? Right now I
have Avg, ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Ad-aware, and Spybot. In matters of
health, my computer is better protected than I am. --- Harold