On Jun 28, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

--- On Tue, 6/28/11, Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at> wrote:

From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at>
Subject: Re: [PD-dev] packaging the pddp docs
To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancs...@yahoo.com>
Cc: pd-dev@iem.at
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 7:20 PM

On Jun 28, 2011, at 1:10 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

I'm already kind of doing that with pd-l2ork.
I've revised Miller's
control/audio/ds tutorials.  Pd-l2ork has
fixed
the crasher bug when
a patch closes itself, so I've got a
navigation
toolbar in those
tutorials
that is currently incompatible with
pd-extended/vanilla.

I had no idea.  Ico seems to work on his
own.  It
would be great to
have those bug fixes submitted to the patch
tracker.
The patch
tracker is what Miller, IOhannes, Martin Peach, me
and
others use for
keeping track of patches that are meant to go
into
pure-data core.

He's also working off 0.42 currently, so submitting to
the
tracker would be pointless.  I think someone was
working
to port the changes forward to 0.43, but Ico is
currently
on vacation and I'm not sure where they are in the
process.

I merged in a couple things from l2ork, like Joe Sarlo's
Magic Glass and inlet/outlet highlighting.  More
patches would be great to have.

As far as I understand there are a lot of changes in Pd-l2ork
to core Pd, and if you accepted them into Pd-extended it would
introduce more discrepancies between vanilla and extended.  If
that's a possibility you'd entertain to get the some of the
functionality that pd-l2ork adds, then I can help with this
process.

Bug fixes should definitely be included, other patches are on a case by case basis. Accepting patches is a time consuming process, especially if the patch submitted are not super clean or has not been thoroughly tested. That's the main reason for patches to be rejected or ignored.

I've gone thru a lot of patches from l2ork before, and found that they were not well tested, sometimes didn't even apply cleanly, and sometimes introduced new bugs. It seems that Ico didn't want to work thru the patch process, and instead is working on a fork. That's a good way to develop solid, well tested patches so it could be that a lot of the l2ork stuff is ready to be resubmitted.

.hc