Joseph McAllister writes:

> The PF functions on the ((P)Z-1 allowed this to be set on or off, if I recall
> correctly. With the (P)Z-1p, you lost 3 PF settings, and now you must use the
> "Cable Switch F" to release the shutter when the green focus light comes on with
> K and Ka lenses are used and the focus mode switch is set to "single."   Page 35
> of the manual.  Called "Snap-in Focus Function."

 From my experience with using the camera, what the manual says is not
100% accurate.  The trap-focus [snap-in focus] will work without the cable
switch attached, provided you hold the shutter release down.

 Which PF settings were lost?

[...]
> With a Kaf or Kaf-2 lens, use Pentax Function 9 set to 1, and "Single" focus
> mode chosen, then depress the ML button before you hold the shutter release in.
> The shutter won't fire until the camera is finished AF and auto-exposure is set,
> and both are locked. However, if anything in the frame of the AF can be brought
> into focus, it will fire. This would only work with something TOO close to the
> lens until you backed off, so might be handy as a technique with your Macro at
> closest focus.

 Now that could work.  I normally keep function 9 set to "0" but will try it out.
I usually use the ML feature with the macro anyway, otherwise I can just
switch to Hyper Manual when I want to meter off something else, and use
ML for trap focus.

> It would be interesting to know if in "Servo" mode with a manual lens, and given
> a rapidly approaching race car, the shutter would trip when focus is achieved,
> or when the predictive program predicts focus would be achieved. "Cause I've had
> plenty of "predictive" shots come out less than in focus using the shutter
> release button in multi-image mode. Maybe 2 out of 10, subject depending.

 I recall reading somewhere that the trap-focus is predictive in "single" but
now I can't find it in the manual.  I must have had my wires crossed.

 Regarding "servo" mode, it's my turn to quote from the manual, page 29.
"The shutter can be released whether or not your subject is in focus..."  [I
think this should have become a PF option.  In-focus-only for your race cars,
out-of-focus-OK for UFOs.]

 So trap focus won't work in servo-mode.  In multi-image mode I've seen that
the AF can't keep up most of the time.  I tried it by shooting without film and
holding the button down while moving the camera around.  Watching in the
viewfinder I saw that quite often it would shoot without refocussing.

 BTW, even though the manual mentions that in-focus indication won't work
with a screwmount lens (and thus trap focus won't work either), you can
probably fool it into working.  I noticed that I had to scrape the paint off the
mount of my extension tubes so the body-side electrical contacts would be
shorted together, otherwise focus-indication wouldn't work.  This makes the
body think there's an old manual focus lens attached (otherwise the AF
system "thinks" there is no lens).  I would guess that a similar approach
would work with a screwmount lens, but it may be difficult to implement.

 Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E.
email [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield

This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List. To unsubscribe, visit
http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.
Don't forget to visit the PUG at http://pug.komkon.org