Joseph McAllister writes:

> Yeah, but with the cable release you can lock it and walk away to shoo your
> subject into the frame or walk into the photo yourself. I've never tried it with
> the shutter button, so I don't know.

 That's true; I was merely discrediting what the manual suggests.  The
wording implies that the cable switch is necessary.

> >  Which PF settings were lost?
>
> One was the metering pattern, which was transferred to the button on the back
> because it was so popular. Others were changed, or transferred to the Mode dial.
> A comparison chart: (fixed width font needed here, and no wrap limits)
[etc]

 That's very interesting.  I'm really glad they shifted the metering pattern to a
separate button as I use it extensively.  They even put it in the right place!

> Another evening shot to hell... Enjoy this and save it forever!

 I sure will save it.  Thanks :)

> Another way to do your trap focus with the (P)Z-1 would be to use the Image Size
> tracking Mode with focus mode switch in Single, PF-18 to '0', and guess what?
> The camera will fire when the subject comes into focus! Maybe time to pick up a
> used (P)Z-1! A manual read tells me the (P)Z-1p will not do this.

 Bah...  The shop has a Z-1 on the shelf but I don't want to pay that much for
just one extra feature!  I've got too many 35mm bodies as it is.

 After looking at some of my first slides from it last night, I've decided that
the panorama mode is indeed very useful.  Now I won't have to use
panoramic slide mounts!

> Actually, the manual says that fast moving objects "may not have focus" in "Snap
> Focus" "Single Mode."

 Are you reading from the Z-1 manual?  My (photocopied) Z-1p manual
doesn't mention this.  I suspected it anyway, so when I'm using snap/trap
focus, I focus the lens quite slowly.  Now my impression of my cheap
400mm lens has improved as I'm actually able to focus it properly :)

 Does the Z-1 manual mention a backlight on the LCD?  I don't think my Z-1p
manual mentions it.  I discovered it by accident when my thumb was off-
target and pressed both the exposure compensation and metering-pattern
buttons together, and the display lit up.

 Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E.
email [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield

This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List. To unsubscribe, visit
http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.
Don't forget to visit the PUG at http://pug.komkon.org