Mike,

I own one and don't think the lens is worth the premium you have to pay these
days.  Mainly it is a novelty because of it's small size.  It's OK, but
nothing very special.  I believe it was originally sold for a price below the
50mm f1.7 M lens.  I think the 50mm f2.0 M is a good substitute.

Regards,  Bob S.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Anyone out there got the SMC-M 40mm f/2.8 "Pancake"?  Do you like it?  I've
 just come across one for a hundred and some bux and wonder if I should buy
 it; I've never seen one in the flesh before.  It seems functionally mint
 (ie. glass is clean and clear, diaphragm action good, all blades right where
 they should be), and only has minor wear on the aperture ring.

 Is it worth it?  I'd like to use it to make my LX a little more the size of
 a P&S. >>
visit http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.