----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax Discuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: Pentax AF 100 mm f3.5 micro

> I believe that, unlike the similar-looking Vivitar and
> other models, the Pentax one has full SMC coating, and its colour
> performance seems to match my other Pentax lenses.

The original Cosina as well as Vivitar and Phoenix are also
multicoated.  But that brings up a question.  How much of difference
is there between Pentax SMC and multicoating on other modern lenses?
The original SMC patent must have expired by now and anyone is free
to use it.  And anyway many manufacturers like Nikon and Zeiss
licensed it back in the 70's.  Pentax claims that SMC reduces loss
of light transmission to 0.2%-0.3% compared to 5% for non-coated and
2% for single-coated lenses .  How does multicoating on non-Pentax
lenses perform?

Of course this is more critical on complex zoom lenses than would be
on this 5 element lens.

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.