----- Original Message -----
From: "Alin Flaider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "SETH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 1:53 AM
Subject: SMC again (was Re: Pentax AF 100 mm f3.5 micro)

>     Given the expiration of original SMC patents, we might expect
that
>   most other manufacturers optics must be coated at least up to
the
>   level of the first SMC lenses. Even Pentax acknowledged recently
>   that SMC is no longer a technology, but rather a brand name.
>     However, in my experience this doesn't appear to be true. I've
>   been playing with and examined pictures taken with original K
>   lenses, BBAR Tamrons, Sigma, Canon L and common glass, zooms and
>   primes included, and I can tell no one came even close to SMC.
In
>   fact, the modern Canons were among the poorest, flaring like an
old
>   russian single-coated Helios.

Ok, but has anyone here actually compared the images taken with
Pentax 28-200 vs. the equivalent Tamron?  Given its 16 element
construction, one would expect any differences in coating to jump
out.  Or is this rebadged Tamron (and similarly Vivitar 100/3.5)
simply an example where SMC is merely a "brand name"?

>     Besides, Pentax upgraded SMC multicoatings with each new
>   generation of lenses, and this is obvious with FA lenses
performing
>   visibly better in this respect than their 20 years old
ancestors.
>   Now latest FAs and Limiteds come in ghostless SMC flavor and
owners
>   attest it's truly superior.

 In fairness, it shouldn't be unexpected for owners of lenses to
attest to their superiority.  It'd be more surprising if someone
bought an expensive lens and proclaimed that it was inferior to a
cheap zoom.

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.