You could get a 4x5 camera.
    --- the "graflok" back of a Crown or Speed Graphic would be
        the easiest and most practical to work with.
Then, instead dismantling ing it ...

... build a lens board with a K-mount adapter in the middle.
    --- a "t" adapter would give you enough depth to work with.

Put your body on it and give it a shot!

Using a Graphic you'd have back tilt and drop.
Using a Busch Pressman 'D' (what I have)
    -- remove the ground glass to add your 35mm mounting board.
       There's just 4 screws to take out to remove it.
you'll gain lateral shifts, rise & fall, forward and back tilts,
along with a rotating back.  But no swivel with either.

A basic Crown Graphic body will run you about $150 to $200.
A Busch Pressman 'D' body will run you about $100 to $150.
    -- I think they're better than Graphics, myself.  More durable.
For about $500 you can add a really nice Nikkor or Schneider lens.

Sounds like a blast.  Have fun.

At 05:43 PM 2/4/01 -0600, Dan Scott wrote:
>Is there anything special about the way the swings and tilts work on large
>format cameras (I'm thinking of the simple old wooden ones, not modern
>studio cameras) that would keep someone from, say, taking the bellows off a
>junk folder and cobbling together that with a pentax body and making their
>own Franken-PC lens? I understand the lens used has to cast a large enough
>image to cover the film, but what else would one need to be mindful of?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dan Scott
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The accumulation of all powers legislative,
executive and judiciary in the same hands . . .
may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."

--James Madison, Federalist 47