>I can agree with this reasoning, but I have not switched to Nikon or Canon.
>The reasons are that in the price class that I am looking at (up to $500),
>the bodies from Pentax are smaller, lighter, more ergonomic and better
>built.  And of course, the biggie, with Pentax I do not have to upgrade my
>wonderful manual focus glass to AF glass with cheesy plasticky feel.

But then you do not qualify as part of the general public because you have
been a Pentax user for quite some time.

>At this moment the Nikon F80 is selling for about 1000 DM ($480) in the
>stores, and I find the technology very tempting.  But then I think about
>having to use only AF lenses, and I put the camera back on the shelf.
>
>I then look at a Canon body with the USM 28-105/3.5-4.5 mounted, and I
>decide that I like the lens a lot.  But I search and search for a body that
>I like, and I don't see one.  The 300/3000/500 bodieas are too cheesy, and
>the bigger ones are too big, ugly and complicated.

The USM 28-105 is a really nice lens. It has been selling for many many
years and still going strong. Canon seemed to divide their EOS bodies quite
clearly - crappy or bulky. Their low end bodies are really surprisingly,
crappy. But then bulky AF bodies were once welcome.

regards,
Alan Chan