On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, William Robb wrote:

> Traditionally, "pushing" means to deliberately underexpose an
> emulsion, then attempt to get lost detail back by using longer
> than standard developing times. This is the definition I use,
> anyway.

Yup, sounds like mine.  I can dance to it.

> Since all C-41 films (I will presime C-41 since that what I
> started with at the beginning of the topic, if you are changing
> the subject, then please tell me) are processed for the same
> time, temperature, agitation scheme, I would say what you dis
> was underexpose by a stop. In C-41, 800 and 1600 have the same
> processing time.

Really?  Hmmm... I didn't know this.  At the Don's I work at, we send all
our pushed C-41 to our main lab, so I just assumed that it was developed
differently.  What happens if you increase the developing time?

> See: http://www.accesscomm.ca/users/wrobb/FilmTests/PJ800/PJ800.html
> for a look at what happens to a C-41 film when "pushed". My
> understanding and experience has been that C-41 is a develop to
> completion process, unlike E-6 and black and white, and that the films
> resist attempts to invrease the speed. Personally, I don't think it is
> possible to actually increase the speed of a negative film via
> development strategies.

Whoa... I didn't know this at all.  So saying that a C-41 film pushes will
is only saying that it responds well to underexposure?

> If film is exposed within it's latitude (which means the scene must
> fall within the dynamic range of the emulsion), then a usable negative
> will result. If the exposure falls outside the usable range of the
> emulsion, then a compromised negative quality will result, no matter
> what development strategy is used to try to save the film. I have
> heard that it is in fact possible to push process E-6 films, though I
> have no first hand experience.

Thanks, Bill!  I had no idea about this.

chris