In a message dated 2/17/01 10:51:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

----- Original Message -----
From: Mafud
Subject: Re: Fast film to go with Porta 160

> *("Rating" film is a slide/B&W technique).

<< Could you expand on this thought please? Are you saying that people who
shoot colour negative films are sloppy about technique?
 Bill >>

I said nor inferred no such thing. What it says is this is a list of people
who shoot print and slide/transparency film, but slide and B&W shooters
~habitually~ "rate" film where print shooters don't ~neccessarily~ have to.
The reason ~why~ they "rate" film is to obtain denser slides; but you knew
that. Print shooters don't ~usually~ *need* to rate print film and for all
intents and purposes, it is a fruitless exercise. But you knew that too.

But all over the world, slide shooters have print shooters struggling to make
images when they don't have to. Slide shooters ~need~ to know certain (slide
exposing) techniques to be able to be successful photographers more often
than not.
Print shooters on the other hand, sometimes make lousy prints trying to use
slide techniques (that simply don't work on prints) when all the print
shooter has to do is set up normally and shoot.
e.g.: Print shooters can most times  ~not~ use polarizers or ND filters in
that print film does a far better job than slide emulsions in handling
exposures with 3, 4 or 5 stop latitudes.
*Slide shooters essentially need a "quiet" scene, the venue itself preferably
falling within 1 or two stops latitude.
*"Rating"** an ISO 100 slide film at 80 or 64 is the norm for slide shooters.
Not so with or for print shooters.
Again, though some will deny, deny, deny my assertion, "rating" print film of
any speed is a frivolous waste of time.
**Slide shooters never "pull" film, they always "push" it.

Shooting under strobe lights is a slide shooter's nightmare. All the
shenanigans they go through just to get a proper exposure is just more time
wasted for we print shooters.

<<Are you saying that people who shoot colour negative films are sloppy about
technique?>>

What "technique?"  Slide "technique?" Color print shooters only need to know
the proper exposure principals for exposing ~PRINT~ film. The topics on this
list and most others is dominated by slide shooters and their "techniques."
We print shooters are just along for the ride most times. Worse, the
conversations and techniques nearly 100% of the time is related to the
troubles slide shooters have. It's enough to give many print shooters
complexes when their shots come out without all the shenanigans and worries.
I stopped paying serious attention to "technique" talk long ago. I DON'T
SHOOT SLIDES, thus whatever trouble slide shooters have making exposures has
absolutely no effect on me. Nor do they AFFECT me.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]