Well, ok, but since thoughts of a possible ET arose in the mind of man
mathematics has been described by scientists and science fiction writers
alike as the only universal language with which we might begin
communication. The "contact plate" placed aboard the voyager spacecraft
attests to this. Now, I'm no believer in ET ever contacting us, at least in
our lifetime, if he exists, so please don't go off on some tangent about
"ET." I mention this only to point out that the concept is not difficult to
understand. Because mathematics is really only counting, it already exists.
The universe was counting long before our galaxy existed, continuing to
match the same number of electrons with protons and with a myriad of other
examples existing.

Paraphrased from one of my texts as best I remember it:
Plato first said that Mathematics is the language of God.  In the late
Renaissance, science came to be seen as dialogue with nature. and success of
mathematical physics led to thinking that "mathematics is the language of
God." Kepler shared the Greek view that mathematics was the language of God.
Or as one modern writer penned, "Mathematics is the language of God, in
which the book of the universe is written. The better we understand that
language, the better we understand the world it describes."

Now before you go off half cocked assuming that I'm appealing to deity,
which I'm not, try to understand what they were/are saying here -
Mathematics is universal and preexists us all.

As to the math professors to whom you prefer, they are translators,
discoverers of another, more ancient language. As to your question, "What,
was differential calculus just out there on the savannahs waiting for the
Neanderthals to discover it?" Well, in accordance with classical thought,
yes! What we express using differential equations was already taking place
for everyone to see,written in nature and performed for example.

Now, not everyone subscribes to this way of looking at mathematics, but it
is an integral part of historical thought regarding mathematics. I assume
that this view of mathematics and nature is not your preferred view. This is
fine, but that's no excuse for deriding this view inasmuch as it is ancient,
classical and in no way interferes with modern theory.

Sometimes it's a good idea to step back, get a new pair of glasses and view
a subject unencumbered by the myopia to which we have become so accustomed.
We might even find that we can actually enter into conversation with those
you could not understand before. With a wider view, we may even see our
world as richer than we heretofore imagined.

Regards,
Bob....
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"
   - Benjamin Franklin