In a message dated 1/3/2003 6:06:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> > Okay, here's another dumb newbie q. I've been trying to figure out how to
> word this q for some time and still haven't gotten it right. And it is a
> multi-part q, some parts esoteric and some not. I am also sure it has been
> asked before.
> >
> > Feel free to answer any part of this q that you want.
> >
> > 1. What color ARE color negatives? (color print film)
>
> They are inverted from the print. That is Red is Cyan, Green is Magenta, etc

Got it.

> > 2. Who's to say the original 4x6 prints are right? (Right in the sense
> that they show the color the camera recorded at the time?)
> >
> > I had some photos I felt real proud of -- dry grass covered hills that
> came out very yellow. I felt that *I* had had something to do with the
> resultant print color. The time of the day I took the shots; the aperture
> setting I used.
>
> The photographer. All the computer can do is make a guess. If they do not
> look the way you remember them, have them redo them. It helps if you can
> tell them what is wrong with them like "too cyan" or "too yellow". You will
> need to have some experience to be able to do that. If you need very
> acturate colors you can shoot a gray card on the first frame. A pro shop can
> set the color correction by that and the whole roll will be correct, if all
> the photos were shot in the same light.

Do'h. I've read about gray cards, but didn't realize one could shoot one on the first
frame for that use (maybe I didn't read closely enough). Interesting. Very interesting.

> > 3. But if one lab can develop color prints a different color than another
> lab can develop them, how can I ever tell if *I* had ANYTHING to do with the
> color they come out?
> >
> > (Maybe one lab simply printed them too colorful -- not the color the
> camera recorded.)
>
> That is possible. If you want to be sure of your colors, and exposure, most
> experienced photographers will tell you to work with slide file. Slide file
> is the oridginal and what you see is what you got. The lab can do all kinds
> of wierd things to prints.

So it seems. Or so I am finding out.

> > 4. What color is actually there? How come any machine cannot look at color
> negatives and arrive at the same color in the prints?
>
> Because color is affected by many things. Only by having a neutral patch
> (that gray card) can they be accurately compensated for. The color
> tempurature of the light (daylight, lamplight, dawn, noon, etc) affects the
> color on the film, and they need to be compensated for in printing. Even
> which lens you use can affect the color to a slight extent.

Aha, how the lab/machine compensates is where all the subjectivity comes into play.

> > 5. This is why people use slide film isn't it? Because the developing
> process doesn't change the color? And because the photographer can see what
> color the pictures really came out?
>
> Yes.
>

> > 6. *Is* the developing of color slide film accurate? (i.e. Do slides come
> out the color the camera recorded?
>
> Slide film requires very precise processing. If the process is off it will
> affect the colors on the film. Fortunately most slide labs maintain the
> proper balance. Also, no film is 100% color accurate, all you can expect is
> acceptable.

Well, yeah, but that's good enough.

> > Color is very important to me.
>
> That is because you are an artist <grin>. I have never been real good at
> color, I grew up in a B&W world and have never quite
> adjusted. I hope my
> answers helped.

They sure did, thanks!

Doe aka Marnie :-)