Hi,

> What I mean is that  just hate walking around with a camera around my neck waiting
>for something to happen (grin).

walking around with one camera over my shoulder is fairly normal here
in London, and it has the benefit that it prevents Americans from
asking me the way to Leicester Square :o)

When you're waiting for something to happen it never does.

I have used the Street & Field system, and I think it's very good. As
several people have said, different systems work for different
situations. Before I went to Romania last year I bought the S&F Rover
Light because I was having back problems partly caused by the
imbalance of carrying heavy shoulder bags. It is a very useful system
for a day out walking. I also use the film drop, which is unexpectedly
effective, the Pouch 50 AW for unused film, and the bottle bag. I
found I was able to use it quite effectively with 2 cameras, one on a
shoulder and the other round my neck. I wouldn't use it in a crowd
because you can't protect it from stray hands. I also have the small
S&F belt, which I haven't really used much yet, but which I bought for use
in crowds (eg at a festival) when I use 3 cameras at a time and when a
shoulder bag gets in the way, is unnecessary or is liable to be
targeted by pickpockets.

The best way to choose camera bags is to consider the different types
of situation where you use your cameras, and for each situation list
the things you absolutely need, then find a system based around that.
This seems preferable to me to taking everything you've got to a
camera store and buying whichever bag fits it all in.

Imo the essential features of a useful system, for active shooting - ie
when all your cameras & lenses are round your neck and shoulders ready to
be used - is to have one place for unexposed film, a completely different
place for exposed film, somewhere safe for your cash and keys, a shirt
pocket for your notebook and pen, and a water bottle for long hot dusty
days. Anything else is excess. In cold weather a combat jacket (old
photographer cliche!) is ideal for this. In warm weather the S&F belt
system is good.

For long country walks when you don't need everything to be instantly
available a back pack like the S&F Rover Light is good. It also has a
very good tripod thingy.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]