Minimize camera shake.

All right, I've cheated, because this is a catch-all rule whose
ramifications are:

1. When possible, use a tripod, a cable release, and mirror lockup (or a
timer).
2. When you can't use a tripod, use a monopod.
3. When you can't use a monopod, try to find a makeshift support. Last
December, when shooting my daughter's snowman, I grabbed a rectangular lid
from a trash can, set it on edge (while holding it), and rested my camera on
the edge.

I'd love to see what one piece of advice photography journalist Herb Keppler
would offer. I suspect it would be, "Focus manually" or "Use higher-speed
film to allow faster shutter speeds."

[EMAIL PROTECTED]