On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Keith Whaley wrote:

> Which reminds me. Am I the _only_ PDMLer who is impressed with the
> little OptioS?

It's a cute little camera, but I'm not overawed.

> 35-105mm equivalent (3x) zoom

Pretty much everything these days has that.  It's impressive in a camera
this small, though.  Pentax has been doing innovative things with their
zoom lenses lately, like the switch-over design in their Espio 150SL and
170SL compact film cameras.

> TTL center and spot metering

The current Optios have this, as do the cameras of several other
manufacturers.

> ISO settings for 50, 100 and 200

All this means is that Pentax had to go to ISO 50 to get the same noise
reduction other cameras have at 100.  :)  Personally, I'd rather see a
good quality ISO 400 setting.

> A Macro to 2.4"! (Super-Macro mode)

Sounds good, but practically every Nikon and some Olympuses and Sonys will
focus down to 1-4cm away.

> Actual image viewfinder (that's what they said!)

Marketing.  You're still looking through a window just above the lens.
The optical viewfinder zooms to show you how far you're zooming in, but
that's different from showing you exactly what you're getting.

chris