Gregory wrote:

> But they can and should have a broad business strategy.  How do they plan
> to position themselves as SLR manufacturers?  Do they plan to hit the low
> end?

It is a hopeless task really. Even if their business strategy was posted here a week
ago it won't help. Nor does the fact that it come up every few months the last five
years or so. Some will still miss it unless they get a private mail from Pentax. Even
then it will be forgotten in two weeks time. Pentax cannot make everyone happy nor
should they. They should safely ignore the whiners who want their favourite 1984 model
camera repeated. Pentax cannot either formulate a rigid model plan and stick to it.
Any competitive company must react quickly to market changes; things might not have
been apparent two years previously.
Pntax will continue the market policy they've subscribed to in the last few years for
the near future.

>Will they make another attempt at professional users?  Do they plan
> to waffle indefinitely without a clear strategy?

They never made an attempt at professional users and doubt they will in the future as
well.

> If we know that much we could at least make some good guesses as to IS,
> USM, and so on.  If they want to appeal to pros, they need the new
> technology.  If they don't care for the pro market, then that new
> technology becomes iffy.

New technology is perhaps more important for the amateur not to mention how the brand
is perceived.

Pål