Keith Whaley said:

> "Gregory L. Hansen" wrote:
> >
> > Mike Johnston said:
> >
> > > But Boz, this can never happen. It ignores the reality of producing products
> > > for a market. The company cannot make the decision as to which way it will
> > > go. It has to be responsive, not prescriptive.
> >
> > But they can and should have a broad business strategy.  How do they plan
> > to position themselves as SLR manufacturers?  Do they plan to hit the low
> > end?  Will they make another attempt at professional users?  Do they plan
> > to waffle indefinitely without a clear strategy?
>
> If they did, why ever would they tell you?  Or, if you want, us?
> Knowledge of a competitor's plans for evolution of their products and
> the guarding of your OWN plans is more secret and more zealously
> guarded than most top secret Government work.
> Industrial espionage is widely practiced, very sophisticated and
> in-house protection of design secrets is severe.
> I have worked in both industries, and I guarantee you that commercial
> security can be more strict...at least in the areas of product design.

Because a broad business strategy usually isn't sensitive information.
Everyone already knows they make cameras!  Because it's the sort of thing
that investors will want to know about.  Because it could reassure
current Pentax users that are threatening to jump to Nikon when FAJ
lenses are introduced.  Because it could encourage manufacturers of
third-party equipment, and a large pool of third-party equipment does
make a brand more attractive to new customers despite some possible lost
sales of lenses and accessories.  Because if they have professionals in
mind they could start building awareness of their brand.  All it might
take is for some rag like Business Week to interview a corporate officer.

Specific products and launch dates can be sensitive.  But which direction
you want to take the business is the sort of thing that's usually pretty
public, or at least the sort of thing that doesn't matter much to
competitors.  What would Canon do if they learned Pentax was going to
release IS lenses, produce some of their own?  Try harder to make their
lenses better?  Come on...