> You really have to learn how to see what is in front of you instead of
> seeing the symbol you have in your head. Looking at an image upside or
> on an unfamiliar scale helps side step that "look, quickly recognize,
> assign a symbol, and move on to other stuff" groove the brain wants to
> get into.

I think this is why a lot of photographers love large-format cameras so
much. The fact that the image is upside-down helps, rather than hinders,
their compositional visualization.

Plus, there really is something wonderful about the image of the world on
the ground-glass. I haven't shot with a view camera for years, but I still
miss that.

--Mike