Alexander wrote:

> - IMO the *ist D seems to be made for the mass market,
> like the film *ist; I expect the DSLR market to
> explode once the prices come down; I consider the *ist
> D as a step into that direction.
> - Pentax undercut other volume makers on price in the
> past: E.g. M-series cameras, zoom P&S cameras, and
> also with some optios. Why shouldn't they do it once
> again?

I don't think so. At least I hope not. To me it seems like the *ist D is directly
targeted at the run of the mill slr user who wants to upgrade to digital. It is
clearly designed to appeal to as many people as possible. This is understandable. It
has nothing of the sex appeal (unfortunately) that the Pentax (and others) digital
P&S, and herein lies my dissapointment. It is understandable that Pentax won't take
chanches with the first DSLR, but I think this will backfire. After all it looks like
a film camera that could be ten years old. I'm not dissapointed with its features and
packaging, where it actually surprise me positively, but its complete derivative, soul
and sexless look.
Theres nothing to catch the imagination of the P&S crowd and the slr crowd is nowadays
basically married to Nikon and Canon, and there is of course nothing to catch their
attention either. Whats left are those married to Pentax. Unfortunately, we are not
too many.

Pål