On 03.2.28 8:29 AM, "Pål Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pentax need to grab some attention. The only attention the *ist D will get is
> the one immediately after the news about it breaks. "Oh, Pentax has release a
> DSLR. Nice!" Then its forgotten completely and people buy the Nikon or Canon
> DSLR. The *ist D is forgettable. It doesn't stand out.

Hi Pål,

My first reaction when I saw the photos of *ist D was that it indeed looked
like N/C counterparts and Pentax played it safe this time.  I thought it
appealed to most of the common denominator mass who hold certain image on
DSLR.  You seem to be talking about more aesthetic than anything else and it
is obvious that Pentax did not want to depart from the accepted design in
the mass market, and I even thought Pentax has done so purposely, at least
on the first one.
Most cars look similar each other these days as mfrs use computers to design
the shape of cars, ending up everybody doing almost the same thing.  SLR
design has evolved for a long time and there probably is only so much mfrs
can do, particularly in a small package.

I believe *ist D (yes, I hate to type this :-) has been developed with the
C/N competitions in mind from the beginning for the very reason you talked
about.  It is small, compact, well specified and IF priced right, I believe
it will sell well.

They could have done some radical things in order to leave a mark, perhaps
placing a penta prism sideway in order to eliminate the hump on top as
Minolta did on S-1 APS camera, for example, but these thing might turn off
the market this is targeted at (it does not look like a SLR :-).
Remember, the *ist D is meant as the entry level DSLR and the market that
buys the entry level SLRs may not be so brand conscious and they go for the
max bang for the money (although it may be slightly different from the entry
level market for the film SLR).  At least in Japan, jumping ships and
switching brands are everyday occurrence.  Some also switch from N/C to
Pentax.  Those people, after a long use of N/C mostly at an enthusiast level
and getting much more experienced in photography, suddenly realize what
Pentax is offering in terms of compactness, user friendly interface and
superb glasses.  Compact, light weight and no-nonsense interface as opposed
to a bloated size, weight and the fighter pilot cockpit interface are no
longer fashionable.  The fad for those was created by the mfrs for
competition which nobody really wanted.  In Japan, I can see that consumers
are really wearing down by the feature set competition and the resultant
bloated camera (Minolta Dynax 7 was it with all kinds of buttons.  You may
no longer see this kind of camera).  This may explain the hot retro market
until a year or so ago (still going strong).  But in that country, there is
a huge infrastructure of used market and switching the brands may not be as
painful as it is here.

In any case, I would like to think that Pentax know what they are doing and
hope they are successful on this first DSLR, and sell tons of them to the
market that is thirsty and eager for the "affordable" DSLR.

I tend to agree with what Pål says "DSLR may not be so "brand driven" at
least at this juncture.  DSLR market is only slowly developing and the next
war will be fought at the entry level DSLR market.  If the targeted market
compare offerings and see one brands has sufficient feature, easy to operate
(very important for this market) and very affordable, they will buy that
brand perhaps as a kit with one of those starter zooms.  Yes, those who have
the investment in lenses of one brand may tend to stick their brand solely
for that reason, but it may not be a deciding factor any more.  People who
enter into DSLR market are not complete novices but we have to remember that
these people tend to jump ships from the film SLR.  They are willing to
start fresh and Pentax (and all others) see a great opportunity now which
they cannot afford to miss.

If all else are equal, I am sure Pentax would be a price leader for one
thing as they have been, but *ist D does indeed look like a very competitive
products.

Now coffee is ready, Bye for now.

Cheers,

Ken