Pal,

When you repeat an inside whisper of pending Pentax news I always take
heed, because I have learned to trust your grapevine.

As a market analyst I'm not so sure of your talents.  It seems now that
Pentax are doing something right you don't know how to receive the news.
Don't forget the lesson of the M-series of Pentaxes.  They were a 'me
too' product copying the Oly OM range and also selling against similar
models from Nikon (EM), Canon (AE-1) and Minolta (I think it was the
X-series).  Pentax were not the innovator of this class but did very
well indeed out of it.  Meanwhile the true innovator, Olympus, don't
even play in the 35mm SLR category any more.  So much for the benefits
of being original or idiosynchratic.

It's been said by others but I'll repeat it.  It is not strange that a
Pentax which looks exactly like a camera resembles a Nikon that also
looks exactly like a camera.  And that is a subjective viewpoint until
the respective cameras are sharing the open market together.  I suspect
that once together they'll look like a dreadnought with a corvette
alongside.

BTW news of the *ist D is everywhere in photography e-zines and
chat/email lists.  Apart from the 'N & C Appreciation Society' (aka
photonet) I can't imagine where your impression of apathy comes from,
Pal.

Regards,
Anthony Farr