no, the holder keeps the 4X5 neg off the glass but I found that
thin negs sagged a little and did cause newton rings.  I solved
the problem by taping 4 quarters to the bottom of the neg
holder to hold neg slightly higher off glass. Still get sharp
results as the scanners optical system has plenty of
DOF.
JCO