----- Original Message -----
From: "Pål Jensen"
Subject: Re: Lens compatibility in perspective (WAS: Re: D-ist blurb in
"AmericanPhoto"magazine)

> William wrote:
>
> I don't think any company can afford to alienate a customer base,
especially
> when it is an also ran who is introducing new for them technology to the
> market place.
>

> REPLY:
>
> This requires that you have customer base worth providing for. The Pentax
customer base buy entry level slr's bundled with zooms. Perhaps even Sigma
zooms. They don't know what compatibility means and they will be pleased
with the *ist and the FA-J lenses. The "advanced Pentax Customer" base are
so few that Pentax know every one of them by first name. Yes, this is
exaggregating but there is truth in it.

Earning a customer base worth providing for seems to be work that Pentax
isn't interested in taking on.
They may be on a fast track to oblivion if they stay the course.
I do have to wonder about those expensive FA and LTD lenses, and where they
fit into the entry level customer base.

William Robb